Learn Two Easy Ways To Make Homemade Dumbbells
Making your own homemade workout equipment can save you a lot of money. You do not need any fancy tools to make great workout equipment that will help you reach your fitness goals. Use the following guide to learn how to make great handheld dumbbells using simple items you have at home or can purchase at a hardware store.
PVC Pipe Dumbbells
PVC piping comes in many different diameters making it the ideal supply to use to make dumbbells because you can choose a diameter that fits your specific grip perfectly. Visit a local hardware store like Daddario Hardware to find the materials you need.
- Hold a few pieces of piping until you find the diameter that feels best to you. Have the technician at the hardware store cut the piping into two foot-long pieces. Grab four end caps, PVC adhesive, and a bag of cement.
- Apply the PVC adhesive inside of one of the end caps. Place one end cap on the end of one of the foot-long portion of piping and hold it into place for ten seconds. Do this for the other end as well.
- Mix half the bag of cement according to the directions on the bag. Be sure to add the right amount of water to the cement so that it will harden properly.
- Place a funnel in the end of the open end of one of the pipes and fill the pipe with cement until it reaches the end of the funnel.
- Prop the pipe so that it will not fall over accidentally. Allow the cement to harden for a few hours before continuing.
- Add the PVC adhesive to one of the last end caps and place it over the open end of the pipe. Hold it in place for ten seconds and repeat the entire process with the other pipe.
Milk Jug Dumbbells
Milk jug dumbbells are simple to make. They are very inexpensive and allow you to make different weights of dumbbells by using different sizes of milk jugs.
- Rinse the jugs with water until all of the milk has been rinsed out of them.
- Add the appropriate amount of water to the cement and mix it according to the directions on the bag.
- Place a funnel in the open end of the milk jug and slowly fill the jug with the cement. You can choose to fill the entire jug or just a portion of it, depending on the weight you want the dumbbell to be.
- Allow the cement to harden for a few hours and then place the lid on the container.
You can use these inexpensive dumbbells to do bicep curls, squats, or any other exercise that requires the use of dumbbells. They are customizable so you can have a full set of dumbbells for a fraction of what you would have paid if you had bought the actual dumbbells from a fitness store.